RECIPE: WATERMELON FETA SALAD
This recipe was inspired by several things:
1. I saw a giant watermelon at the grocery store and could not resist the urge to buy it (didn’t really think through the logistics of carrying it up to my apartment along with the rest of the groceries).
2. A new friend with a new herb garden had just given me some fresh basil (thank you, sweet friend!).
3. I had just eaten Chinese delivery 3 times in 7 days. I needed some salad in my life.
I have to say, this is one of the best salads I’ve ever eaten. Although I just made it for myself, it would be perfect for a summer dinner party, so I’ve upped the recipe to serve 6. Guests will be begging you for the recipe. Enjoy!
Watermelon Feta Salad
12 slices of watermelon (about half of a large watermelon)
1 package watercress (or other “cress” — I just learned that there are several types)
3 oz. crumbled feta cheese
6-8 fresh basil leaves
salt + pepper
1. Slice watermelon into triangles (or rectangles, or whatever shape you’re feeling).
2. Stack watermelon slices in a low serving dish, then top with watercress and feta cheese.
3. Tear basil leaves and sprinkle on top.
3. Drizzle with oil + vinegar, then season with salt + pepper to taste.
So simple, so fresh and so delicious!