Top 5 Moving Tips
I’ve moved eight times in the past eight years. I’d like to think I learned a few things along the way.
This time was made even more exciting by a lovely case of food poisoning the night before the move. I literally laid on the couch until the movers had to take it away, and then I laid on the floor. I’m thankful for our wonderful movers and the support of Alex and Perry (who licked my face and made everything all better).
My top five moving tips have been learned through personal experiences, some of which I would not wish upon anyone – so read on!
- Label everything. You will want to know exactly which box has your wine opener.
- Be prepared. The first week is like a mini vacation in the wilderness (a.k.a. your new home). Pack a week’s worth of clothes and toiletries in a small suitcase. It will take you at least that long to find your box of underwear.
- Don’t starve. Plan to eat meals out or have frozen meals ready for the first few days. You won’t be able to find a fork and you will be left eating store-bought rotisserie chicken with your fingers.
- Set up utilities before moving. You do not want to sit down with a beer after a long day of moving in the middle of the Texas summer and have the power turn off.
- Don’t forget your furry friends. Acquaint your pet with your new home as much as possible before moving. Your new neighbors will not appreciate animals with loud separation anxiety.
- Plan a party. It will be the only motivation to get your house unpacked and your life back to normal.