Whole30: Week 4
Here are a few of my own simple recipes that I make at least once a week.
- Steak – Try the “reverse sear” and you will have a perfectly-cooked piece of meat every time. (Note: Turn on the kitchen fan. Otherwise you will end up with every window and door in the house open to air out your kitchen. Trust me.)
- Sauteed Greens – Any greens will work (spinach, chard, kale): melt coconut oil over medium-high heat, saute some diced onions & garlic, add greens, season with salt & pepper, cook until wilted, finish with a splash of balsamic vinegar.
- Roasted Veggies – Any root or stalk veggies will work (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, sweet potatoes, onions, celery root, parsnips): peel & dice veggies, toss on a pan with olive oil, season with salt & pepper, roast in a 375 degree oven for 20-30 minutes.
- Contigo water bottle – I’ve owned many water bottles, and this double-layer, pop-top, BPA-free model is the absolute best. I’m up to about 50 oz. of water per day, which I’m quite proud of since before my Whole30 it was about zero.
- Hamilton Beach Single Serve Coffee Maker – I’m not an everyday coffee drinker, but on weekends I can’t pass up a cup with a dash of cinnamon. This coffee maker is perfect for a single cup of fresh grounds (not those packaged cup things).
- Find a way to make cooking fun for you. Play loud music, dance around your kitchen, wear a silly apron – whatever makes your inner-chef come out.
- Can’t find organic/grass-fed/pastured/sugar-free ________ at your grocery store? Amazon is your answer.
- Not a planner? Not a problem. I do not plan meals. Ever. (Okay, I tried once, and failed.) I go to the store, buy what looks good, and make it. It’s really that simple.
- Don’t sweat the small stuff. Life gets in the way of perfection. Things like traveling, getting sick, working late, going out with friends, etc. will happen, and you will eat non-perfect foods, and guess what? You will be just fine.
- Tell yourself, “I am the type of person who eats healthy foods and takes care of myself” every day. And you will be.